Channel 4 to air documentary on "The Great Ticket Scandal"

Discuss news items

Channel 4 to air documentary on "The Great Ticket Scandal"

Postby Punktastic » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:24 pm

News Comments: Channel 4 to air documentary on "The Great Ticket Scandal"

Channel 4 have announced that they've defeated a High Court injuction from ticket reseller Viagogo to air a documentary about how the website conducts their ticket sales and obtains tickets.

A press release on tomorrow night's ' ‘The Great Ticket Scandal: Dispatches' (9pm) from Channel said that the documentary is set to reveal that:

The majority of tickets offered for sale through viagogo are not from individual fans but from large scale professional ticket resellers or tickets allocated by promoters to viagogo.

viagogo staff compete directly with real fans to buy tickets from primary ticket sellers, like Ticketmaster, for in demand events as soon as they go on sale. To get around systems put in place to prevent bulk buying of tickets, viagogo staff use multiple credit cards registered to different addresses.

viagogo has a special team dealing with large scale professional ticket resellers - known as "power sellers", or "brokers" who account for a significant percentage of overall ticket sales on their exchange.

Large-scale ticket reselling has spread beyond the traditional rock and pop gigs. Dispatches found tickets offered for resale way above face value on ‘fan to fan' exchanges for England's 6 Nations rugby games; Strictly Come Dancing and The X Factor live tours; West End shows; National Gallery's Leonardo da Vinci exhibition; and even The Last Night of the Proms.

Secondary websites like viagogo have obligations to be honest to the public under consumer legislation and a leading expert says that some viagogo practices contravene legislation.

[Join in the discussion on Twitter using #TicketScandal and follow @C4Dispatches]

To read the full press release from Channel 4, head to http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news ... by-viagogo.
Punktastic

Re: Channel 4 to air documentary on

Postby stegabilly » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:26 pm

I got two Leeds festy weekend tickets from there last year for £150. No complaints about that.
stegabilly
Gently

Last.FM: stegabilly

Postby disconnectdisconnect » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:57 pm

Here's hoping they soon make mass ticket reselling illegal. I believe it's fine if you genueinly cant go, but if it's more than 1 or 2 shows a month (e.g. every big gig coming up) then it's blatently dodgy.
disconnectdisconnect
Opium of the People

My Band: www.disconnectdisconnect.co.uk
Twitter: disconnectrecs

Postby anthonyslowmo » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:49 am

I am definitely contemplating buying my Architects/Rolo Tomassi ticket from this site, £59.00 is an absolute bargain!
anthonyslowmo
Liberate

Return to News Discussion (Archive)